[Umpqua Birds] Leucistic Red-tailed Hawk

  • From: Robert and Jean Pollock <rjpollock@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: umpquabirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2015 16:23:33 -0700

Hi All,

The hawk that Beth saw near the fire station on Garden Valley is almost surely the leucistic Red-tailed Hawk that has frequented that area for the past three or four years. We live nearby and we see the bird regularly. Unfortunately, a week or two ago someone cut down the partially-dead oak tree that the bird liked to sit in to survey the meadow across from the fire station, so we don't know where the most likely place is to see the bird now.

Attached is a picture of the bird whose name, by the way, is Blotchy (it's easier to say than "leucistic Red-tailed Hawk").

Bob and Jeannie Pollock

JPEG image