[Umpqua Birds] Re: Baltimore Oriole photos/sound

  • From: Stacy Burleigh <stacymb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Matt Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 16:01:30 -0700

Oh, that is great Matt! That camera that you and other birders have is
something! Thanks for continuing to teach us! I'm also pleased that someone
other than me recorded a bird song! ;)

Stacy Burleigh
Melrose

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Matthew G Hunter <matthewghunter@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Folks,

Just getting to uploading some photos/sound of the Baltimore Oriole.

Fishermen, birders, and people of all generations have loved to tell
stories. Here's mine: I was in the house looking over my morning house
fix-it project when I heard some loud single and repeated (4 or 5 times),
rich, descending notes. As they "sunk in," they did not match anything in
my metal sound database. Oriole? Tanager? I get excited when I hear
something I do not recognize for certain, so I grabbed my bins and camera
and headed out the door. The bird calls had already moved south a hundred
yards to the border of our property. I walked quickly to our fence, hoping
it would be there. When I got there, it was calling another 50 yards to the
south. I scanned and scanned. I could not see it. The calls were fairly
simple, so I began imitating them with my own whistles. In just 10 seconds
the bird flew back north to the tree canopies above me. As I continued to
imitate the bird now and then, it seemed to try to find me, though not
coming far down from the upper canopy. Finally I was able to see the bird
in my bins and obtain some photos--with shaky hands--and a voice recording
with my cell phone. The bird mostly did the single and repeated (4 or 5)
notes, and only a couple times did a bit of a fuller song. Eventually, it
again flew south to the next patch of trees, and I did not want to bother
it again. I have not been able to look for the bird again.

Photos:https://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewghunter/sets/72157653211355319

Sound Recording: www.umpquabirds.org/BAOR2L.mp3
(two single notes and one repeated note, as well as dog, chickens, ...)

Since the species hybridizes with Bullock's Oriole, I checked out a few
features to see if this looked like a pure individual, and it does:
*All dark head
*Orange shoulder area (median coverts)
*No big white patch on wing like Bullock's (greater coverts)
*Wide dark area across base of tail
*Orange corners at end of tail

Unrelated to hybridization (?), I cannot explain the lack of white tips on
the greater coverts. Looking at photos online, there seems to be quite a
bit of variation from just white edges to quite white tips. I don't know if
this variation is associated with age, or something else, or just
individual variation.

The Oregon Bird Records Committee has accepted 19 previous records for the
state (http://orbirds.org/obrcrecordsmay2015.pdf). As far as I know this
is the first record for Douglas County.

Matt Hunter
Melrose, OR