[UHNA] Minutes

  • From: "Cindy Summers" <CSummers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <uhna@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 09:48:19 -0400

UHNA meeting 3/10/08-Present were Kathy Kessler, Theresa Stallsworth, Aila
Shochat, Cindy and Daniel Lewis. Cindy and Dan brought fruit salad as
refreshments as they almost forgot to bring something.

1.      Kathy is continuing to follow up on getting more trash cans in the
neighborhood
2.      The CUF cleanup Saturday was cancelled and will be rescheduled in
April. The Great American Cleanup is April 26. We will participate as our
April cleanup
3.      CUF Updates. Dan gave us some info per his previous summaries. We
discussed the concern for keeping Claussen  Park near St. George. Also, the
CUF trustees are supporting efforts to find a developer for St. George. He
said that UC is concerned about getting its money back for the development
on McMillan so is monitoring proposed projects carefully.
4.       Cindy updated the Citizens on Patrol Violent crime is down because
of the increased police presence .although thefts and burglaries are up.
Aila expressed concern that crime was moving toward University Heights.
Actually most police calls were for one apartment complex.
5.      Cindy  reported on the Crime Prevention Through Envionmental Design
program. The group is part of the Community-Police Partnering Center. They
do assessments of communities to determine how changing the environment can
reduce crime.  Examples are eliminating blight (abandoned buildings, litter,
graffiti.) Houses with clean well lighted fronts and defined property lines
discourage crime.  Groups in Walnut Hills and Northside have targeted
businesses and residences which were blighted. They also offer homeowners
access to resources such as Working in Neighborhoods to fix maintenance
problems. Cindy volunteered to call this group and find out more info.

6.      Theresa said that she is moving to the Clifton Gaslight area but her
heart (and investment) is still in University Heights. We thank her for her
enthusiasm for cleanups and other events.

7.      As no one has responded to my question about the future direction of
UHNA, we are continuing on a path of social/cleanup events. Daniel mentioned
that we need more block captains as cleanup needs to be a continuing
priority not just an occasional event. If you have further ideas, let Kathy
know.

I'm sure that Kathy can fill in where I have left off.

Cynthia Summers

1600 Scripps Center

312 Walnut St.

Cincinnati Ohio 45202