[UHNA] Re: Calhoun area construction

  • From: "neelr4@xxxxxxxx" <neelr4@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: monica.rimai@xxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:23:33 GMT

--- University Hights Neighborhood Association - NET Message ---------------

Dear Ms. Rimai:

my names is Robert Neel and I am an assistant Professor of Neurology at the
University of
Cincinnati College of Medicine.  I am also a member of the Clifton neighborhood
since
1996.

I am writing in regard to the Calhoun construction zone.  I wanted to let you
know how
excited I am about the neighborhood and the new construction along Calhoun.  It
has been
deserved for a long time.  UC's participation in the neighborhood development
has made
such an impact already, and I would be disappointed to see it stall.

As a medical student, I was discouraged from living in this neighborhood due to
crime, lack
of development, lack of acceptable retail, and lack of aesthetics.  But I
stayed, while I
watched many of my fellow medical students move away as soon as they could.
This is
unacceptable, especially in a community that prides itself on its university.
The
development of Clifton around the University not only serves the neighborhood,
but also
serves the Univeristy and its students.

Please remember our communities, and how they are inexorably entwined as you
approach
difficult decisions about finances.  Those of us who work for the University
and live in the
neighborhood are counting on you.

Robert Neel, M.D.