[uae] Re: missing scanlines on ntsc

  • From: Toni Wilen <twilen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:24:12 +0200

You can see it by just opening a 724 by 482 NTSC Workbench screen. (I used
a gfx size of 800x600.) The menu bar is offscreen. If you slide it down,
scanlines on the bottom go away. Bring up overscan preferences, and set it
full size, and you see what's happening. My guess was that it was because the
macro NUMSCREENLINES was returning 236 rather than 241. Although I see now that
it isn't used. BTW, PAL works correctly.

Guess what... I tested this on my real A1200 and lines 0 to 6 (values from overscan prefs) are _not_ visible on my 1081 monitor in NTSC-mode (with height adjusted so i can see whole screen)

I used 724x241 (non-interlaced) when testing.

-> emulation is 100% correct :)

Of course this may be different when using real NTSC Amiga instead of PAL Amiga in 60Hz mode.

I have learned to only trust real Amiga tests.. For example I wasted 2 hours when I debugged game that had sound problems (noise instead of correct sound) until I finally run it on my real A500. Of course the sound was exactly the same as on emulation :)

Game was Faery Tale. Game's intro music only works properly on A1000 because A1000's boot rom initializes sound registers...