[uae] Re: Using a RDB-partitioned physical hard disk

  • From: Jens Weichert <nexusle@xxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:54:15 +0200

Hi Rich,

Am 30.08.2006 um 16:54 schrieb Richard Drummond:

Hi John

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 09:23, John Millington wrote:
Can I have e-uae boot from this disk? It isn't obvious to me,
in either the gtk frontend or in .uaerc, how/where I enter "/dev/ sda".
I have also dd'ed an image of the entire disk to a file, but likewise, I
don't know where/how to enter that filename. Whole RDB disk images
aren't quite the same thing as hardfiles, right?

Sorry, there are no controls in the Gtk+ UI to do this (it has been developed,
since it's going to replaced), so you'll need to use the hardfile2= config
option.

Something like this should work:

hardfile2=ro,:/dev/sda,0,0,0,512,1,

would this also work on mac os x?

Note I specified 'ro' in the above. I would recommend trying it read-only
until you're sure it works. There may still be bugs. For example, at least
one person here has experienced problems with hardfiles on 64-bit machines.

You'll need to give yourself read (and write) permission to /dev/ sda. How you
do that, depends on your distro. Adding yourself to the group 'disk' usually
works.

In fact, if you have disk space to spare on your machine, it may be a better
idea to copy /dev/sda to an image file and use that instead.

E.g.:

cat /dev/sda > mydrive.img

and then use that with:
hardfile2=rw,:/path/to/mydrive.img,0,0,0,512,1,

greets Jens