[uae] Re: Using a RDB-partitioned physical hard disk

  • From: Andrew 'Truck' Holland <truck@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 21:12:21 +0300

> In fact, if you have disk space to spare on your machine, it may be a better
> idea to copy /dev/sda to an image file and use that instead.
>
> E.g.:
>
> cat /dev/sda > mydrive.img

I would not reccomend the use of cat for this, I would suggest using 'dd'
("device dump" or something like that, one of those odd unix tools with odd
short names) - as that tool is designed for this exact purpose.  While cat will
do it, it does so without block control, so there have been instances that I've
seen where cat does NOT make an identical copy, whereas dd will.  dd also lets
you specify block size, etc... which can come in handy for dealing with actual
disk images.