[uae] Re: UAE Listing problems

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:59:10 -0400

Hi Richard

On Aug 27, 2007, at 2:37 PM, Richard de Rivaz wrote:

The file is created and deleted only from the linux side. I would have
thought that UAE ought to be able to list the directory and read the file if it is present. I think in fact that UAE is listing freshly rather than
cached.

Jochen is correct. UAE tries to cache directory contents (filenames and attributes, but not file contents) of directories that it has accessed. If you delete a file at the host side that UAE has cached in a directory cache then UAE won't know that the file has been deleted.

In general, it is not safe to to access a virtual filesystem from both the host and from UAE (it should be okay if you only read but don't create, update or write files from the host side).

Is there some command to freshen up the directory (linux or uae)
before listing?

No. Sorry.

A solution to this problem might be to take advantage of the host OS's ability to do notification on the change of directory contents. When UAE caches a directory, it would register for a notification message when that directory is changed and refresh its cache on receipt of such a message. Patches implementing this feature are welcome. ;-)