[uae] Test binary for OS X

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 22:54:07 -0500

Hi All

I've been working on the general cruddiness of UAE's speed on the PowerPC
hosts. The referenced binary (built for OS X) has a couple of simple
optimizations in the CPU emulation that yields (here at least) between 5% and
50% speed improvement (depending on what kind of software you are running in
the emulation. Compute-bound software will benefit the most). It also doesn't
ask for a hardware SDL surface (see my last post to Byron).

Get it at:
http://rcdrummond.net/uae/test/uae-test-20040511-osx.bz2

This binary is built using the SDL framework (there's no GUI).

I'd like to get some feedback. What performance gains do you see, if any? (Be
wary of numbers provided by SysInfo or similar benchmarking tools, though,
especially on slow machines.)