[uae] Re: Support for Gtk+ 1.2?

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2004 23:36:18 -0500

Hi Stephen

On Monday 04 October 2004 09:57 am, Stephen Anthony wrote:
> BTW Rich, I developed a preliminary QT interface for UAE about 1.5 years
> ago, long before you took over maintenance of UAE/E-UAE.  It didn't
> include all the GUI, but it did have the floppy interface, etc. and it
> did boot into the emulator.

Interesting!

> I never bothered to work on it any further, since it required some
> changes to the core code (C++ being stricter than C), etc., and it
> didn't seem like the old maintainer was interested anyway.

I think the current state of the code should be okay with C++. Most of the
BeOS-specific parts are in C++ and that doesn't cause a problem. If there are
any changes needed, let me know.

> Assuming it won't start a flame-war, I may be interested in
> adding/developing this code further.

Please, be my guest. :-)

> The only problem I see is that I
> thought there wasn't a free QT implementation for Windows??

See
http://kde-cygwin.sourceforge.net/qt3-win32/

Quote from that page:
"The port is completely based on the gpl´ed qt/x11 sources in the kde-cygwin
cvs by commenting out all X11 functions and filling in the corresponding
win32 functions. To avoid licensing problems we only accept contributions
from people, who don't have access to the original qt-windows sources."

There already is a perfectly good Windows GUI in WinUAE remember. ;-)

Seriously, though, the reason I haven't included the Win32 stuff in this tree
yet is simply lack of time. I would eventually like to make the thing
buildable with MinGW and Cygwin and possibly even OpenWatcom. At the moment,
the config script has the beginnings of support for building on Win32 with
MinGW, but that's about it. You might be able to build an SDL-targetted
version for Win32, but I wouldn't bet on it. (Patches welcome.)

It would be cool to be able to get it building properly with MinGW at some
point and forward the work along to Toni for inclusion in WinUAE. At the
moment, though, I'm still trying to get the damn thing working properly on
other platforms and to keep up with WinUAE. ;-)

> Another possibility is a KDE frontend for UAE that someone developed and
> is already on Sourceforge.  It would merely have to be adapted to tie
> into the emulator (vs. being just a frontend).  And it could probably
> be converted back to a pure QT application easily enough.
>
> Let me know what you think,

I've never actually looked at that KDE front-end, although I have heard about
it.

My feeling would be that while this might make a good starting point, porting
it over to plain Qt would be better choice, since this will work on X11,
OS X and Win32 (and possibly even Qt embedded) without requiring KDE.

As I think I mentioned earlier, I would be quite happy to include a Qt GUI in
the source tree - I just don't have the time to work on this myself right
now. So if you or Jens or anybody else wants to try and get this off the
ground, please do.