[uae] Re: Sound tips for Linux

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 02:37:30 -0400

Hi Kjetil

On Thursday 13 July 2006 05:07, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
> Yeah, you are probably right. But for running realtime amiga software
> like midi sequencers, the current state is not good enough.

I'm not arguing with you there. ;-)

> The point is to avoid priority inversion. Theres little point running a
> program with realtime priority if it has to wait on a non-realtime
> thread, which does happen if you do things like disk-access or X
> graphics rendering.

Indeed. My point was that while it may be necessary for graphics output, disk
access, etc., I just don't think it's necessary or particularly beneficial
for audio output (at least on Linux with OSS or ALSA).

BTW, the virtual filesystem can already supported a threaded model. But for
now on uniprocessor systems the performance is so much poorer than the
non-threaded version that it's disabled.