[uae] Re: SCSI emulation fails on my A1 with 2.4.22 kernel

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 17:08:42 -0500

Hi Staf

On Saturday 01 May 2004 06:35 am, Staf Verhaegen wrote:
> I downloaded uae-0.8.25-20040302-ppc-glibc2 from the website and I'm
> trying to get the SCSI emulation working with my CDROM. It is running on
> a debian stable system with some parts upgraded to testing with a 2.4.22
> kernel.

This is probably because you are running UAE as a user without permission to
access /dev/sg0. cdrecord works on your set-up because cdrecord has been
installed with SUID root.

Solutions:

a) Run uae as root. Simple, but probably not a good idea.

b) Give yourself permission to access /dev/sg0. One means of doing this would
to change /dev/sg0 to being accessible by the group cdrom (and add yourself
to the this group, if you're not already a member).

For example, as root, do:

chgrp cdrom  /dev/sg0
chmod g+rw /dev/sg0

c) Build a version of UAE without the GTK+ GUI and install it with SUID root.
(GTK+ won't let you run a program SUID root, and so with the latest version
of UAE you cannot start UAE at all. An oversight on my part, which I should
correct.)