[uae] Re: OT: Beryl (also Re: Compiz)

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 02:33:31 -0400

Hi Jason

On Friday 23 March 2007 02:27, Jason Rainforest wrote:
> There's a Debian repository as well, which you probably found but I'll
> put here anyway (from the Beryl Wiki):

Yes. This is the one I was using. I've also installed it on my AMD64/Ubuntu
machine too now.

> As for E-UAE i586 and the transparent window contents issue, it still
> exists with Beryl. Here's a couple of screenshots, one with the i586
> version and one with the AMD64 version, exactly the same config. Same as
> before too, the i586 version when using GL output works fine, except
> display update is so slow that it's unusable (perhaps 0.50-0.75 frames
> per second). Each shot is 1.3mb (1680x1050 PNG), hopefully you're not on
> dialup, lol :-)
>
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~l3mming/temp/2007-02-23_UAE_i586_Screenshot.pn
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~l3mming/temp/2007-02-23_UAE_AMD64_Screenshot.p
>ng

Thanks.

I still cannot reproduce this problem, either on the x86/Debian/Radeon9200 or
the AMD64/Ubuntu/Geforce4MX machines.

What graphics card is in your x86 box, BTW?

> With Beryl (latest release as of yesterday, 0.2.0~0beryl1), I can move
> OpenGL displays around too. I haven't tested any other version.

On my AMD64/Geforce4 machine, OpenGL window content is composited - and I do
see a noticeable slow down in the performance of E-UAE with OpenGL output
(although it's not the <1fps that you're seeing). The non-compositing
behaviour I reported earlier may be a problem with the R200 DRI driver.

> There's certainly more work to be done. I read that X.org 7.2 includes
> some stuff to help compositing window managers.. should be interesting
> to give Feisty a go when it releases, which comes with 7.2.

Indeed. If I had more time, I'd give the new beta of Feisty a whirl right now.

> Are there other modes I could try? I can't remember how to tell E-UAE to
> use other modes (like DGA). This might help to isolate the issue (maybe
> it's SDL non-GL only?).

DGA mode wouldn't help (if DGA is supported at all when the Composite
extension is enabled - I don't know that it is - it would bypass the
compositing manager). You could try a plain X11 build of E-UAE rather than
using SDL (if you can't recompile yourself, give me a shout).

One final question: does the problem exist in Amiga screens or just in P96
screens?

Richard Drummond

Web:  http://www.rcdrummond.net/
Mail: mailto:evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx