[uae] Re: Important: Is using a hardfile partition beyond the first 4 GB of a MBR partition safe?

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 13:50:59 +0200

Am Sonntag, 1. August 2004 04:47 schrieb Richard Drummond:
> Hi Martin
>
> On Saturday 31 July 2004 10:29 am, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Is using a hardfile partition beyond the first 4 GB of a MBR partition
> > safe? I always just thought about the size of the hardfile / partition,
> > not the location on the disk.
>
> Yes. Or at least I don't see why it wouldn't be. UAE doesn't know or care
> that it's a partition - it just sees a file. There's a current limit of 2GB
> for a hardfile (which I keep saying I'll fix), but the position of that
> file on the disk shouldn't make a difference.

Hello,

hmmm, somehow I hope it would have been UAE, cause then I would know what was
causing the filesystem corruption. Now I am picking in the dark.

Anyway actually I think that something that has access to /dev/hda9 and not
to /dev/hda5 just can not override anything on /dev/hda5 by accident. That's
at least what I would expect from the Linux architecture.

Well I will observe /dev/hda5 and my other XFS file system /dev/hda8 closely.

And I am using normal hardfiles for now. Call me paranoid, but I don't like it
when my nicely setup Debian Linux installation gets corrupted.

Anyway I think I had luck cause its still working rather fine after
re-installing a few packages that were broke.

Regards,