[uae] Important: Is using a hardfile partition beyond the first 4 GB of a MBR partition safe?

  • From: Martin Steigerwald <Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 17:29:48 +0200

Hello,

Is using a hardfile partition beyond the first 4 GB of a MBR partition safe? I
always just thought about the size of the hardfile / partition, not the
location on the disk.

Today I just used such a hardfile partition (partition 9, /dev/hda9) and
copied about 80MB of YAM e-mail files to it.

Then I wanted to get me e-mail with KMail again and it complained it cannot
start the "pop" process. This did not go away even after uninstalling and
re-installing KMail. Thus I rebooted.

After reboot the X11 server refused to come up. It couldn't find some basic
libraries. On accessing various files I could a "unknown error 990".

That's not good I thought, inserted a Knoppix CD and run "xfs_check" on the
partition. Indead it found problems. Well what should I do? So I run
"xfs_repair". This seemed to have fixed most of the problems at the costs of
loosing track about 100 files now in "lost+found". The output of the tool
looked quite scary to me.

Anyway the system now works quite OK again and I think I re-installed packages
whose files might have been affected. I am not 100% sure tough, but at least
I can use the KDE desktop again.

I am now puzzled about the cause of the problem. The harddisk is just a few
weeks old and I considered XFS to  be rather stable.

Now could it be that UAE wrote onto my XFS partition (partition 5, /dev/hda5)?
I thought not, cause it just has access to the device files of partition 9
(/dev/hda9) and 10 (/dev/hda10). But before I do any further action on the
hardfile partition I want to be absolutely sure. Right now I will remove the
hardfile entries relating to those 2 partitions completely from the UAE
config.

It just happened at the same time that symptoms of a corrupt root filesystem
appeared just after or even while copying the YAM files within UAE. Maybe
that's more than a co-incidence.

Otherwise I really have no idea what could have caused the corruption on the
XFS filesystem.

Here is my partitioning data:

(parted) print
Plattengeometrie für /dev/hda: 0.000-57231,562 Megabytes
Disk-Label-Typ: msdos
Minor    Start       End     Type      Dateisystem Flags
1          0,031   2863,146  primär                boot
2       2863,147   6675,446  primär
3       6675,447   9538,593  primär
4       9538,594  57231,562  erweitert
5       9538,625  19077,187  logisch   xfs
6      19077,218  28615,781  logisch   reiserfs
7      28615,812  29572,778  logisch   linux-swap
8      29572,809  48649,965  logisch   xfs
9      55348,976  56290,253  logisch
10     56290,285  57231,562  logisch

UAE copied data to partition 9. My question is, whether it could have written
(parts of it) to partition 5? I still doubt it, but I have no other
explaination for the filesystem corruption on that partition. Especially as
already the short SMART self test of the drive (about 2 minutes) completed
without failure. Now running the long one.

Luckily my /home filing system (partition 8) seems to be OK, as well as the
SuSE Linux 9.1 partition (partition 6).

Regards,