[uae] Re: Hardfile size limitations

  • From: Toni Wilen <twilen@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 09:01:38 +0300

Hi All

This topic came up on the forum on amigans.net. I thought I'd direct your attention to this post from Joerg Strohmayer:
http://www.amigans.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=11977#forumpost11977

I'm acquainted with Joerg through working on AmigaOS4.0, and he really does know his stuff. There's some good information in that post.
There is one non-listed restriction: OS3.1 (not everyone have OS3.5+) and older apparently do not like >65535 cylinders.

This is the most common cause for >= 1G non-mounting non-rdb hardfiles because 1G = 32 (tracks) * 1 (heads) * 512 (blocksize) * 65536 (cyls) (unfortunately we can't change default "geometry" because it would break compatibility with old hardfiles..)

btw, I refuse to register or post in "those kinds" of forums. (don't really want to say more in public list or it would end in flames..)