[uae] Re: Compiz (was Re: Snapshot 20070317)

  • From: Jason Rainforest <l3mming@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:00:20 +1000

Hi Rich,

On Mon, 2007-03-19 at 09:33 -0400, Richard Drummond wrote:
> Hi Jason
>
> On Monday 19 March 2007 02:24, Jason Rainforest wrote:
> > There's one issue with the i586 version when running a compiz, and I'm
> > not sure why it occurs. Here's a window shot of the E-UAE window:
> >
> > http://members.iinet.net.au/~l3mming/temp/E-UAE.jpg
> >
> > The E-UAE window contents are transparent, and seem to be adding to
> > what's in the background (a sunset, hence the orange and yellow), also
> > there's a shell window with E-UAE's output. The Workbench screen in the
> > E-UAE window is the standard 3.0/3.1 grey.
> >
> > This problem doesn't occur if sdl.use_gl is set to true, however when
> > E-UAE is using an OpenGL display, the updates are very erratic
> > (something to do with compiz' compositing, all OpenGL apps seem to have
> > a similar issue, with either erratic updates or halved framerates as is
> > the case with Quake III/IV).
> >
> > The AMD64 version of E-UAE doesn't have this issue, just the i586
> > version. The system here is Ubuntu 6.10 with latest updates, plus Compiz
> > 3.6.0 compiled from Gandalfn's repository (Ubuntu 6.10 comes with a much
> > earlier version of Compiz).
>
> I don't know why this is happening, and I haven't had any luck getting compiz
> to work on this x86 box (Debian unstable with Xorg 7.1.1 and Xorg R200
> drivers). Compiz 0.2.0 from the Debian repo has problems refreshing windows
> (i.e., they don't refresh) while 0.3.6 built from source complains it can't
> find the GL_EXT_texture_from_pixmap extension, while it's plainly there (and
> 0.2.0 finds it okay).
>
> I don't have time to mess with this right now, so I think this'll have to be
> a 'won't fix' until after WIP4 is out.

I had trouble getting Compiz (0.3.3 and 0.3.6) to work under Debian
also, which is the main reason why I changed to Ubuntu (couldn't resist
all the eye candy, lol). Perhaps after you have released WIP4, you'll be
able to experiment with the Ubuntu Feisty live/install CD, which I
believe will have Compiz installed on it by default. That releases some
time in April.

Thanks again for all the great work on E-UAE :-)

Cheers,

Jason