[uae] Re: CD-ROM ejection problem

  • From: Francis Russell <FrancisRussell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:57:20 +0000

Do you have HAL running? Probably yes if you are using A GNOME desktop. I have a hunch there may be some interaction between E-UAE accessing the CD drive and HAL's storage daemon polling the device. Also, do you have any auto-run type feature enabled - for instance, a file browser will open when you insert a data disc, or an audio player/ripper with run when you insert an audio disc.

I see some odd behaviour here sometimes. For instance I can always eject a disk with the physical button, but software eject (for instance's IDEFix's EjectCD tool) doesn't always work.

I can't promise a quick fix on this one. It'll need some investigation...

Your guess was spot on! It looks like the hal daemon needed by Gnome
was causing the eject problems, even though I wasn't using Gnome
as a window manager.

This also seems to happen to me with the new Linux SCSI support as well,
but with that I also get problems trying the access the audio playing
features of the drive as well.

What kind of problems? It works on all the machines I've tried.
Actually, after testing a few CD players, both backends are behaving a bit strangely for me. Using the scg backend, OS 3.9's PlayCD works fine but under the native Linux backend, it quits after saying that the drive doesn't conform to SCSI-2. Using a few other players I downloaded from Aminet, under both backends they seem to be able to monitor the CD playing status OK, but only
certain subsets of the control buttons seem to work, depending on player.

To be honest, I don't really care about the CD playing functionality that much and it sounds like it's probably a problem with my configuration or CD-ROM drive rather then e-uae. Thanks greatly
for helping me fix the eject problem.

Francis