[uae] Re: CD-ROM ejection problem

  • From: Richard Drummond <evilrich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: uae@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 23:20:55 -0500

Hi Francis

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 17:42, Francis Russell wrote:
> I'm running E-UAE on Debian unstable with a custom built 2.6.20.1
> kernel. It's using the cdrecord libraries for SCSI access and the ATA
> access method (scsi_device=/dev/cdrom).  The problem I'm having is with
> the CD-ROM eject mechanism.

I'm on Debian unstable on this box here, but I don't tend to invest much time
in building my own kernels these days. I'm using a stock 2.6.18-4 kernel.

> Most of the time when I start E-UAE, after I insert a CD-ROM I can't
> eject it using either the CD-ROM drive's eject button nor Amiga eject
> commands. Occasionally after starting E-UAE, it does work, but after
> inserting a CD-ROM again, it then breaks.  When this happens I either
> need to quit E-UAE or use the eject command from the Linux console.
> Everything else like browsing files on the CD-ROM or telling it to play
> audio works fine.

Interesting.

Do you have HAL running? Probably yes if you are using A GNOME desktop. I have
a  hunch there may be some interaction between E-UAE accessing the CD drive
and HAL's storage daemon polling the device. Also, do you have any auto-run
type feature enabled - for instance, a file browser will open when you insert
a data disc, or an audio player/ripper with run when you insert an audio
disc.

I see some odd behaviour here sometimes. For instance I can always eject a
disk with the physical button, but software eject (for instance's IDEFix's
EjectCD tool) doesn't always work.

I can't promise a quick fix on this one. It'll need some investigation...

> This also seems to happen to me with the new Linux SCSI support as well,
> but with that I also get problems trying the access the audio playing
> features of the drive as well.

What kind of problems? It works on all the machines I've tried.

> Does anyone know where to begin with trying to fix this?

Try killing HAL (if you're running it) and then running E-UAE. It may help to
narrow down the problem.

Can you test with an earlier kernel? Maybe something has changed recently.