[triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V7 #86

  • From: brian <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:39:55 -0700

Armando,

Thanks for that info.

Well I bet you know which additional program I now have added to my computer!
Talk about going in the wrong direction!!!!

Hopefully it will work when Vista arrives.

It is easy to keep adding new programs with all the wonderful programs that exist.
I hate to ditch them because I go back to many of them months and months after installing them.

A while ago I did a full review of all my programs and try to eliminate some when Chuck suggested I get rid of some.

Now I have 240 listing in the Program File, but I had many more before that last purge!
And to show I have made some progress, I have 390 listings in my Down Load file.
So there are about 150 programs I did Uninstall.
With all that registry load with that many programs I guess it is great that Win98 is still working.

And maybe it is a blessing is disguise to still be using Win98 since many of the programs you and others have recommended are not supported by Win98 or my computer would even have more programs installed!

I guess it is worth another try. I can put some on a couple of CDs for safe keeping and reinstall when I need them.

And I am glad to see what you had to say about Win98, " I think it is the best OS MS ever produced.
I can take your advise and not rush to Vista since Win98 just keeps working and working.

Thanks for this and all the past advise.

BRIAN
*******

FreeLists Mailing List Manager wrote:

triadtechtalk Digest    Sat, 15 Jul 2006        Volume: 07  Issue: 086

In This Issue:
                [triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V7 #83

Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 09:24:26 -0400 (GMT-04:00)
From: Armando Barreiro <avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V7 #83

It's easier to get older than it is to get wiser, Brian.

Don't know if xcopy32 will be a method that can be used in Vista.
Perhaps xxclone will work, it does work for 98, me, 2k and xp now:
http://www.xxclone.com/

Do you use all those programs that you have installed in 98?
I had a zillion installed myself and realized that I rarely used any of them,
so I uninstalled them.

I recommend you don't rush out and purchase a Vista PC immediately upon
V.'s release. If we but would learn from history, it would seem that you'd be
wise
to allay your hunger for a new PC until the kinks are worked out of V. TMO.
Remember 2k' SP1, 2, 3 and 4, or XP's 1 and 2?

As I said, the folk around here were probably too busy trying to keep their xp
boxes
working and have also forgotten the tricks for 98. (just kidding)

Although I've obseved that in most other groups people will treat a 98 user
with disdain,
I think it is the best OS MS ever produced.

It's just a shame that in order to do some work with a windows PC one must be
constantly tweaking,
fixing, updating, cleaning, defragmenting.......

I don't have to do any of that in Linux. My cousin, your neighbor in Wisconsin,
swears by Macs.
As for myself, I just love the tinkering!

Have a nice day and give my regards to the Mrs.,
armando