[triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V4 #249 was Boot from CD

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 13:35:05 -0800 (PST)

Donny,
I did some further research in Microsft's
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,
micorosoft.public.windowsxp.hardware

Apparently, even if booting from an external USB device
were to be supported by your MOBO's BIOS, XP does not
support booting from an external device.

See the threads here:
http://tinyurl.com/3c23c

and here:
http://tinyurl.com/35mfj

I knew I had read this in another group
but I wanted to verify it before posting it.

BTW, Linux does boot from external devices:
http://www.knoppix.net/

HTH,
armando

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 06:57:02 -0800 (PST),
avbsantos@xxxxx wrote:

> You cannot boot from an external USB device unless
your
> computer has BIOS level support for USB boot devices.
> I suspect you'll find that this Acer Aspire 1700 DOES
> NOT support this as it's a relatively rare feature
> today. If it´s a new box contact the manufacturer's
> support & verify this. Maybe they have a BIOS update.
>
> You'll need to be able to "see" your DVD in DOS mode
> before the boot/installation can begin.
>
> Sorry,
> armando
>
> On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 07:02:49 EST, Donnymacco@xxxxxxx
> wrote:
>
> Thanks guys
>
> I have XP Home and the external dvd writer is a
Freecom
> Classic multi format and the box is a nearly new Acer
> Aspire 1700. Bags of space on disc massive DDRram.
Have
> tried all options in bios. Don

> VIEW ARCHIVES @ //www.freelists.org
>
> UNSUBSCRIBE by sending email to