[triadtechtalk] Re: triadtechtalk Digest V4 #239

  • From: brian99 <brian99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:03:37 -0600

Armando,
Sorry for not mentioning anything else about this BIGFIX. I have become to believe that there isn't any thing that the core group of the forum doesn't know about computer! But know I know better: there is one thing! :-[

I think it could be best described as a special updating service.
This has to be one of the few programs I found outside of this group.
This is the link where Langa mentions it favorable. He describes it as, "the largest remaining
independent, third-party updating service  which sniffs your machine's hardware and software, and
then makes recommendations as to which patches,...". It is discussed on this page under 4.
"How to catch up without catchup". http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2002/2002-10-10.htm#4

It seems like a great program. I had tried it quite awhile back but didn't continue using it because I was way too inexperienced then.

BRIAN
********************************

From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [triadtechtalk] Re: Big Fix
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:50:23 -0800 (PST)

What's "Big Fix"????

armando

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 10:22:56 -0600, brian99 wrote:

Hi to all,
It looked a little light so I thought it would be a
good time to ask a quick question.
I am trying to use Big Fix again and when I
re-installed the program I got this message:

"UPDATE: MDAC 2.8 Available Microsoft has released Microsoft Data Access
Components (MDAC) version 2.8. The MDAC 2.8 redistributable installer installs
the same Data Access core components as Microsoft Windows 2003
Server. Please note that this release does not include Microsoft Jet, the
Microsoft Jet OLE DB Provider, the Desktop Database Drivers ODBC Driver,
or the Visual FoxPro ODBC Driver."

Since it is 5.3MB and doesn't give me a clue what it
is, I hope someone can explain exactly what it, and the other things
listed are and do I really need it.

Thanks as usual.

BRIAN