[triadtechtalk] downloading trial virus protection

  • From: Rebecca Davis <davisrb@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2001 07:54:04 -0500

I have disabled my virus protection (McAfee) because it seems to be expired
and possibly causing my error message problems (Microsoft Support). I did a
virus scan which found two infected files. When I try to download a free
trial of Norton, I get the following messages. I would feel perfectly
comfortable with a well-know virus protection like Norton but don't
understand these messages. Does anyone know about this?

"Do you want to install & run from
spf.digitalriver.com?(Service@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is the email address of an
entity that sends out a newsletter offering updates, etc.)
Publisher cannot be determined

Authentication signature not found"

I went on to more info and got something like this.

"The software does not have a certificate so it might not be safe to install
and run. A certificate contains information that a specific software program
is genuine. This ensures no other program can assume identity of original
program. Software phblisher has not obtained a certificate for this software
from a recognized issuer so authenticity cannot be verified.

Given what you know about this software publisher and your computer, youmust
decide whether it is safe to proceed with installing running.

If, given this information, you still do not feel confident about installing
this software, then click No."

I did not go ahead and install.

I will appreciate any assistance.  Thanks.  Rebecca