[triadtechtalk] Re: XP Misunderstandings (was: Re: This...& WIN XP)

  • From: "cabehogan" <cabehogan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 16:58:26 -0500

> 2. Windows XP requires a subscription.

> False. Windows XP does _not_ require a
subscription to be renewed. _Office_
> XP requires a subscription renewed every two
years, but not Windows.

Now that is the way I read it!

> It is true that Microsoft is only leasing you
the software. This has been
> true of every version of Windows to-date, and
most versions of MS-DOS. It
> was decided in court many years ago that if they
sold you the software, you
> were allowed to change it in ways that the
manufacturer didn't approve of.
> Therefore, most shrink-wrapped software has, for
some years now, been
> licensed, not sold. You don't own Windows XP,
but then you didn't own
> Windows 95, or Windows 3.1, or MS-DOS 5 either.

Well, yes in that sense of the word, but in
practicallity as long as it is on your machine, it
is yours to use so long as you own the machine,
and they have no legal right to remove, disable or
deprive the buyer/registered user of the use of
it, right?  And why would the average user want to
change it even if they knew how which the majority
don't?

> It is also true that Microsoft doesn't allow you
to give away or sell your
> old software. This is a serious concern for some
people. However, it is not
> the same as a subscription that has to be
renewed every two years.

Again as I understand it!

So it looks like I am once again on the band wagon
for XP!  : )

However, I do have one question at this point and
that is folks have been talking about having to
pay $199 for the home version and I thought that
the price was $99 for the 'update' to Windows
already owned by folks and the $199 was for the
full version for folks who had no previous version
of Windows, so am I right or wrong?

I have got my system completely smoothed out and
running like a well oiled sewing machine and so
long as it continues in this excellent manner, I
will have no need to update to the XP for added
stability, but don't ask me to explain how I done
it, keeping all my loaded software intact and with
out having to wipe my HD and start all over, cause
all I can tell you is that I just did a whole lot
of key clicking and mouse clicking till it just
plain gave up and started behaving itself!  : )
But in truth, I am convinced that the installation
of the final version of IE6 over the beta copy
that I was running, did the trick as I had
predicted it might for those of you who followed
the saga!

.......clarence.......