[triadtechtalk] Re: Strange boot probs

  • From: avbsantos@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:51:53 -0800 (PST)

Doesn't PM afford you the opportunity to create a boot
rescue floppy? Did he create the floppy? Now is the
time to use it.

If he can boot into 2K he can try to
edit the boot order in Win2K's boot ini

in win2k.....control panel /system /advanced /start up
and recovery.....lets you select default startup OS and
time out.

Apparently PM is the boot loader in his case and not
Win2K's NTLDR.
I'm not too familiar with PM. The only time I used PM
*it* was a shareware version from whence the BIOS
limitations of a HDD was limited to 8GB.(ancient by
today's standards)

Can't he try fiddling with PM to try recover the MBR?

MBRWork will allow him to check/restore/delete the MBR
& the EMBR of any disk. Here is a bunch of
boot/partitioning/recovery tools.

Find them under the "FAT32 DISK PARTITIONING,
FORMATTING + RECOVERY TOOLS" heading in section #4,
including MBRWork:
http://members.aol.com/axcel216/secrets.htm#FDPT

Now is the time to have a good backup available. Got
one?

Here are some additional tips:
http://tinyurl.com/ytjv

HTH,
armando

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 09:14:34 -0500, BrigKahuna@xxxxxxx
wrote:

> Greetings TTTsters:
>
> My coworker uses Partition Magic 5.0 to boot to Win2K
> and Win98 on his home PC.  After receiving some
strange
> page fault errors in Win98 on a system that had
> previously worked fine, he decided to check the
obvious
> first and run Scandisk.  The program locked up the
> system.  He canceled the Scandisk with Ctrl-Alt-Del
and
> re-booted to Win98.  After some thought, he closed
> Win98 and took the closing option to reboot to DOS.
> There, he ran scandisk from the DOS prompt with no
> problems.
>
> After Scandisk ran with no errors, he typed "win" at
> the DOS prompt and got the response that he was in DOS
> mode, did he want to return to normal mode.  He
> responded "Y" for yes, the system rebooted to the
> Partition Magic screen, where he chose to restart
> Win98.  At this point, the computer dumped him back
> into DOS mode to a "c" prompt.  Each time he has tried
> since, the Partition Magic option for Win98 puts him
in
> DOS mode.  He can still get to Win2k, however, with
> that PM option.
>
> Does anyone know how to correct Partition Magic 5.0 to
> boot to the desired Win98 Op Sys in normal mode?  Or
do
> you think the problem/fix is somewhere other than PM?
>
> Sincerely:  BrigKahuna
> VIEW ARCHIVES @ //www.freelists.org
>
> UNSUBSCRIBE by sending email to
> triadtechtalk-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with unsubscribe