[triadtechtalk] Re: Pmail-one more question

  • From: RPRKOCVGGPED@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2002 12:52:52 -0800

From: BRIAN CORNELIUS

> --from BRIAN CORNELIUS <bcornel@xxxxxxxxxxxx>--
> --reply triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> ***  Triad Tech Talk
> (www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/webpage?webpage_id=triadtechtalk) ***
>

> > I was glad to see Clarence"s question since I havealso  been
> wondering exactly
> > how to rename a file that is suspected of not being needed. But
> I want to be
> > sure to do it  without causing additional problembs by renaming
> it! To rename
> > a file that is named Wez89.exe for example, can I simply add a
> new part to the
> > name at the beginning or end of the existing  name before the dot (
> > "Wez89WhatIsThis.exe", or "WhatIsThisWez89.exe") or should it
> be added at the
> > beginning ("Wez89.WhatIsThisexeexe") or to the end of the file
> extension like
> > ("Wez89.exeWhatIsThis")? I suspect I should not alter the file
> extention but
> > am not sure. Thanks for the help.
>

> BRIAN

Which you do depends upon your purpose. If you want to simply set the file
aside to re-enable later, put a character at the beginning. A number 1 works
well, and puts them at the top of the list.

If, however, you want to ensure that the file does not run _under any
circumstances_, you might want to change the extension. This would protect
you if the file is, say, suspected of being malware (a Trojan Horse or
virus, for example).

Windows will warn you not to change the extension. This isn't a problem, so
long as you remember what the extension was. Simply adding a character can
help, but it can also create problems if you have to manipulate files in
DOS. So can putting ".1" at the end, though that is less of a problem. One
thing which works well for very temporary use is to reverse (.dll becomes
.lld) or invert (.exe becomes .xex) the extension. This will prevent you
from forgetting the extension, and is what I use when given instructions
like "rename win.ini to win.old".

David Nasset, Sr.
AKA Filksinger