[triadtechtalk] Internet Speed Boosters/Boot Delay

  • From: brianwc@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: triadtechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2003 10:56:25 -0600

Armando, Joe, & Chuck,

Thanks for coming up with the great advise.

Armando,
thanks for taking the time to provide the great detail about your effort to
speed up the dial up connection. That script looks like the thing to try if I
think I can do it right. If that doesn't do then I know I have tried everything
that has a chance of working.
I did find 5 "pages" listed for his old site in the archive.org here:
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://home.kscable.com/wecoyote/
and the archive site said they would be posting more of the pages as they scan
in the future.
I will be away from the computer for a week or so. When I return to it I will
study your posting to see if all the past advise from you and the others on the
forum has taken me to a point that I think I can enter the script to give it
try. But more importantly, if I can revert to the original setting if I don't
get it right!

Joe,
thanks for analyzing that boot up log. It is reassuring to know that 2 of the
entries are not causing any problems. I did find this about the Nuwave.drv
from the Google searches you provided:

 "Failed to load files - IOS errors
 See you sound card manufacturer. There is a fix for this but only for the
advanced computer user, this was submitted by a customer: The Nuwave.drv is
called  Failed to load files - IOS errors
This is what it said about it and how to correct the problem:
Nuwave.drv This file appears to be loaded via the sound card in some cases and
through the Media key in other cases. The file is
not available so Windows uses a substitute driver. See you sound card
manufacturer.
There is a fix for this but only for the advanced computer user, this was
submitted by a customer:
The Nuwave.drv is called from within the eapci.vxd which is located in the
Windows System folder.To correct the load failed message
you need to open the eapci.vxd with a hex editor like the Hackman. Use the Find
tool to locate the Nuwave.drv entry. Once you've
found it then replace it with the entry dsound.vxd. Save the corrected file and
place it back in the System
folder. Next time you boot there is no Bootlog entry for Nuwave.drv."

I did not find the  eapci.vxd on my computer and  I don't know what a hex
editor is so I guess I will just have to keep things the way they are since the
it is still working.

Chuck,
That  regrepair2000 form easydesk software is a real powerful program! And
there site could take me days and days to completely explore. However, I think
there program is too advance for me at this time and since you had mentioned
that the days of Win98 support are numbered I think I will just try to stumble
along until I need to upgrade. But I will bookmark there site since  may one
day  I will be
able to use there program ( But I am hope by then computers will improve so
much that I won't need it!! I know I am dreaming but at least maybe things will
improve at least just a little!!!!)

Thanks to each of you for help again and again and again. I can't thank you
enough.

BRIAN