[children's transport group] Re: Ventilator on neocot

  • From: "Berry, Andrew" <Andrew.Berry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:01:50 +0000

We use the Crossvent 4+ made by Bio-Med Devices in the USA. It provides SIMV
and assist control (pressure triggering).
However, a better option would be the new Fabian+ nCPAP  from Acutronic AG
(Switzerland) which provides all conventional modes with volume
guarantee/limit. It is also suitable for non-invasive ventilation via prongs or
mask. Many previous Crossvent users and Pneupac users are switching to this
device because of the engineering quality, the improved user interface and an
expectation of improved after-sales service. The Acutronics company makes its
own flow sensors for both its own equipment and Drager and Hamilton. Obviously
those companies know a good product when they see one.
Our experience doesn't identify a need for HFO for transport. However some who
do are considering the Stephanie which is rather bigger; being designed for use
in the ICU. It weighs 33kg. It is made by Stephan GMBH. Acutronic make a
similar device called the  Fabian HFO which is a similar size and weight.