[tor] Re: Charity integration at witcoin

  • From: Mizery De Aria <mizerydearia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torservers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2011 03:28:33 -0600

Hello Moritz,

Well, the idea I have for distribution is limited to the user that actively
selects which charity to donate to.  Take the following example:

User A includes Torservers and EFF charity.
User B doesn't include any charities.
User A posts content at a cost of 0.01 witcoins.
Torservers and EFF receive 0.0025 witcoins each.
User B upvotes post by User A.  No donations are provided to either charity
because User B opted not to include any charities.
User B replies to post by User A.   Again no donations are provided to
either charity.
User A upvotes the reply by User B at a cost of 0.01 witcoins.
Torservers and EFF receive 0.0025 witcoins each.

You had suggested a slider to select percentages, however, I am not sure
that will be necessary and would rather stick to the equal distribution
model.  Therefore if a user selects only one charity, that one charity will
get 33% of profit from all posts and replies by that user, and a bit less
for upvotes depending on how many upvoters there are.  However, if a user
selects 10 charities, then each charity will only get 8 1/3% from all posts
and replies by that user.  I can see the usefulness behind allowing
donations to receive a larger or lesser amount than others, however, I am
not entirely certain if providing such advanced distribution calculations
will be necessary.  I can easily implement addition of charities using the
existing model with little to no code modification.  However, to allow for a
slider to select percentages would require additional calculation and
processing.  It is an interesting idea and I will keep it in consideration
for implementation if it seems desirable and useful.

Regarding what users will think, again it will be up to each user to
actively select one or more charities that they wish to include in the
distribution of their payments.  The implementation will be opt-in per user.

l3estest l2egardedsness,
Miz