[torontocbm] Re: Can anyone recognize this adapter?

  • From: "Stewart C. Russell" <scruss@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: torontocbm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2020 15:44:57 -0400

On 2020-06-12 11:12 a.m., Dan Gahlinger wrote:

I'd have to pull out an ancient laptop that has a parallel port on it, or old desktop...

Perhaps your only option, Dan. Thinkpads and corporate Dell laptops tended to have them up to about 10-15 years ago.

There are full-featured USB to parallel port adapters for CNC use (e.g.: UC100 USB motion controller — http://cncdrive.com/UC100.html), but they don't appear as a standard port. If anything, they appear as a serial port, and do the fiddly job of turning buffered g-code commands into precisely-timed stepper motor signals.

This particular model uses a custom FTDI serial driver chip: just custom enough to have a different USB ID, but not custom enough to not be fooled into sorta working with the stock FTDI driver. It wasn't my CNC to play with entirely (part of a big weird custom cardboard box cutter) and I never got it to quite assert the right control lines to do much beyond identify as a port.

Good luck!

 Stewart