[tn-moths] Re: Zanclognatha...Early, Dark or...?

  • From: "buggybuck" <buggybuck@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2012 11:47:24 -0400

I think this is probably Z. obscuripennis, based partly on the illustration
of Z. cruralis in the new Peterson field guide on page 314, which is very
different from your photo.  Also partly with the description given in The
owlet moths of Ohio by Metzler, Arnold, and Harris, 1992 on page 28.  "The
prominent dark brown AM and PM lines of Z. cruralis are not zigzag.  The
contrasting dark ST line is closely parallelled by an inconspicuous pale
line.  The AM and PM lines of Z. obscuripennis are nearly even and not much
darker than the ground color.  The pale element of the ST line contrasts
with the dark portion of the ST line."
BUCK