[tn-moths] Watauga County moths--27 April 2011--Now in the 700 Club!!!

  • From: "J. Merrill Lynch" <jmerrilllynch@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-moths <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 10:50:22 -0400

Moth'ers,

Another excellent moth night in the High Country.  Added another 10
species for the year, bringing my yearly total to 158 spp.  I also
identified 3 lifers which pushed my total Echo Valley Farm cumulative
list over the 700 threshold and my yard list now stands at 702.  This
is my third season of intensive mothing at this location and I'm still
averaging about 20% lifers (1 in every five new moths for the season
are lifers).  A great hobby--every night is full of surprises.  lad to
see everyone really getting into it.

My lifer moths:

0003 Dyseriocrania griseocapitella (Chinquapin Leaf-miner Moth)
2143 Filatima epulatrix
2413 Swammerdamia caesiella

plus an unidentified Caloptilia that I haven't seen before; it looks
most like 0633 C. sassafrasella and could be that species but doesn't
have the scattered large spots depicted on MPG; my moth actually is a
dead ringer for the image taken by Karl Hillig on MPG under 0645.97,
unidentified Caloptilia moths.

J. Merrill Lynch
Echo Valley Farm
Watauga County, NC