[tn-moths] Re: Pero spp.

  • From: kjchilds <kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ncsc-moths <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 13:56:02 -0700 (PDT)

Here's what I've been able to find out from a moth contact of mine.

"In honestaria, the PM area of the forewing is generally much less mottled than
in ancetaria and morrisonia, with an almost nonexistent ST line (usually
clearly
seen as jagged/toothed and white in the other two). The FW median band of
honestaria also, at the bottom 3rd, makes a straight, somewhat basad trajectory
to the inner margin, whereas in the other two it has a tooth-like indent (as it
crosses the anal vein). Honestaria also lacks the black spot near the midpoint
of the FW outer margin, that may or may not be present on the other two. On the
hindwing of honestaria, the PM line touches nearly the middle of the anal
margin, whereas in the other two the PM line nearly reaches the anal angle.
Finally, honestaria usually has smoother wing margins that are not serrated in
appearance.

Now ancetaria and morrisonia are more difficult to separate, but generally
morrisonia is much more mottled in overall appearance and often has a more
deeply serrated appearance of its wing margins, particularly the HW outer
margin. Also, in my experience, morrisonia often has some pale spots near the
FW
apex that I have not seen firsthand in any ancetaria specimens. But honestaria
is usually the easiest to distinguish. Of course individual variation is always
a factor.

Now keep in mind, a lot of superficial characteristics that were long used to
separate species, have been turned topsy-turvy with in recent years with the
genetic mapping of lep species, so I can't say these are concrete."

After I received the above reply, I looked at the pics of P. ancetaria and P.
honestaria on MPG and knew something didn't make sense so I asked him to take a
look at the MPG plates.

"In my opinion, *based on the images alone* I would say there's a good chance
that Bob's ancetaria is actually a morrisonia, and with almost certainty that
all the images of live honestaria are actually ancetaria."

http://www.finishflagfarms.com

 Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2011 05:11:39 -0700
From: kjchilds@xxxxxxxxx
To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've added more recent sightings to this album. If anyone has thoughts on this
subject, I'd sure like to hear them!