[tn-moths] Grapevine Epimenis - Knox and Blount County

  • From: Avian Pursuits Nature Tours <naturetours@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 06:07:06 -0700 (PDT)

Lots of Grapevine Epimenis moths were flying this weekend in Knox and Blount
Counties.
I photographed this one at Forks of the River WMA on Saturday, March 19:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avian_pursuits/5546180407/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/avian_pursuits/5546762516/
I had never really looked at the wing pattern before - except to note the
orange
and white patches. I really like the rest of this guy now!

On Sunday, I saw a few of them as well at Kyker Bottoms WMA in Blount County. I
was unable to get any photographs since I was busy leading a bird walk - and
many birders don't like for their trip leader to stop to photograph a 'bug'! :-)
 David Trently
Avian Pursuits Nature Tours
...come see the real world!
Knoxville, TN