[tn-moths] Grapeleaf folder vs. roller

  • From: klight10@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tn-moths-bounce TN Moth Group <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 21:07:52 +0000 (UTC)

I had a small black and white moth that looks like #5160 Desm​ia maculal​is
(from Ken's page) on the sheet at science camp last week. When I looked this
moth up on MPG it didn't have it. It was smaller and had more slender
wings than what I've been calling a Grapeleaf Folder #5159. I want to make sure
I have the correct ID before I send it in. Why doesn't MPG show this moth? It
is obviously much smaller and different than 5159.

Last night, just as I was about to shut down the lights for the night, I
spotted a small black-gold-black moth on the grill. I caught it to put on the
white sheet because it was difficult to photograph against the black metal.
When I opened the jar next to the black light, it immediately flew back to the
grill. I tried it again and it did the same thing! I guess it felt it was
better camouflaged against the grill! Today I was able to ID it as #2234 –
Anacampsis coverdalella – Coverdale's Anacampsis Moth, it was a new one for me.
See attached photo.

I also had hundreds of tiny beetles and leafhoppers, it was difficult to spot
the very tiny moths among them! I did see what I'm pretty sure is #0663 –
Neurobathra strigifinitella (see photo 1). I enjoy the challenge of
photographing the tiny moths.

Kris Light

Oak Ridge, TN

Anderson Co.