[tn-moths] Chatham County Moths

  • From: "Parker Backstrom" <dpbackstrom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ncsc-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <tn-moths@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 18:44:41 -0500

Greetings from NC's piedmont.

Thanks to Marvin and Hugh for their thoughts on the Psaphida image I posted
a few days ago.  Upon continued contemplation I'm convinced it is indeed P.
rolandi.  I've seen considerable variation in several individuals over the
past couple of days.  I'm afraid I can't address the yellow antennae
question posed by Hugh but it would be worth an examination as identifying
worn Psaphida can pose challenges, I'm sure.

I have had a pretty good year so far for moths.  I did a quick-and-dirty
review of my records find that I recorded a minimum of 57 species between
January 1 and March 1 (see list below-and I'm sure I missed a couple).  All
were seen at lights; I've done no baiting this winter.

I again ask for some thoughts on a couple of moths.  I've attached a photo
of a Lithophane that bombed in last night and allowed two quick shots before
zipping away again not to return.  This is a group I don't have much
experience with.  I'm calling it a well-marked innominate but welcome
contrary thoughts.

More intriguing was what I thought was just a variation of Phoberia atomaris
when I took it.  However, when I looked at the photo this morning I quickly
concluded that it was not this species.  Based on the limited resources I've
checked (MPG) I'm thinking it might be an as-yet undescribed species of
Cissusa.  It's definitely not spadix.  Once again, I'd welcome any thoughts
anyone might have.  (Forgive the image quality.  I bought Photoshop Elements
10 this year and am still figuring out how to tweak images so that they look
the way I want them to look.)  The genus seems right but beyond that I'm at
a loss.  I will put the light on again tonight hoping for a return so that I
might collect it/another one for examination.

The next couple of nights should be mild and therefore pretty good,
especially Friday night.  I've had FOYs each night the past week so I'm
looking forward to seeing what tonight brings.  Things are definitely
starting to pop 'round here.

Lep on, everybody!

Parker

0434.99 - Tineid sp.

0486.97 - Bacculatrix sp. [?]

2366 - Plutella xylostalla (Diamondback Moth)

2868 - Rhyacionia rigidana (Pitch Pine Tip Moth)

28xx - Rhyacionia sp. x 2

3272 - Chimoptesis garulae

3273 - Chimoptesis pennsylvaniana

3325.1 - Epinotia n. spp. [?]

3536 - Acleris robinsoniana (Robinson's Acleris)

3597 - Argyrotaenia velutinana (Red-banded Leafroller)

5079 - Udea rubigalis (Celery Leaftier)

5143 - Diacme adipaloides (Darker Diacme)

60xx - Plume moths (2 spp.)

6258 - Alsophila pometaria (Fall Cankerworm)

6362 - Digrammia continuata (Curve-lined Angle)

6594 - Cleora sublunaria (Double-lined Gray)

6620 - Melanolophia canadaria (Canadian Melanolophia)

6658 - Phigalia titea (Half-wing)

6659 - Phigalia denticulate (Toothed Phigalia)

6660 - Phigalia strigataria (Small Phigalia)

6662 - Paleacita vernata (Spring Cankerworm)

6663 - Paleacita merriccata (White-spotted Cankerworm)

6966 - Eutrapela clemataria (Curve-toothed Geometer)

7416 - Costaconvexa centrostrigaria (Bent-line Carpet)

7414 - Orthonama obstipata (The Gem)

7474 - Eupethicia miserulata (Common Eupethicia)

7951 - Symmerista albifrons (White-headed Prominent)

8465 - Hypena scabra (Green Cloverworm)

8591 - Phoberia atomaris (Common Oak Moth)

8592 - Cissusa spadix (Black-dotted Brown)

8596.96 - Cissusa n. spp. [photo]

8733 - Caenurgia chloropha (Vetch Looper)

8962 - Paectes abrostoloides (Large Paectes)

8978 - Nycteola metaspilella (Forgotten Frigid Owlet)

8908 - Autographa precationis (Common Looper)

9182 - Panthea furcilla (Eastern Panthea)

9522 - Lodopepla u-album (White-eyed Borer)

9684 - Elaphria grata (Grateful Midget)

9688 - Galgula partita (The Wedgling)

9888 - Lithophane innominate (Nameless Pinion) - presumably [photo]

9910 - Lithophane antennata (Ashen Pinion)

9929 - Pyreffera hesperidago (Mustard Sallow)

9933 - Eupsilia vinulenta (Straight-toothed Sallow)

9935 - Eupsilia tristigmata (Three-spotted Sallow)

9941 - Sericaglaea signata (Variable Sallow)

10007 - Feralia major (Major Sallow)

10012 - Psaphida electilis (Chosen Sallow - both forms)

10013 - Psaphida grandis (Gray Sallow)

10014 - Psaphida rolandi (Roland's Sallow)

10019 - Psaphida resumens (Figure-eight Sallow)

10438 - Mythimna unipuncta (Armyworm)

10495 - Orthosia hibisci (Green Speckled Quaker)

10517 - Egira alternans (Alternate Woodling)

10994 - Cerastis tenebrifera (Reddish Speckled Dart)

Plus 7-8 spp. torts that I haven't taken the time to identify.