[tn-dragonflies] Re: [se-odonata] Great Spreadwings 3 in tandem

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: se-odonata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 10:27:19 EDT

For anyone interested but unwilling to open attachments from the internet,
see spreadwings in tandem photo here:
_http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/130079501_
(http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/130079501)

Richard Connors
Nashville

In a message dated 11/5/2010 5:43:59 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx writes:

From Oct. 26, 2010 Carter Co. TN

Marlene sent me some pictures last week of 3 Great Spreadwings
(Archilestes grandis) in tandem. She said she saw them flying at first. The
photos are
of them perched on Forsythia stem with two males in front (see  attached),
and she said it looked like the female was trying to oviposit  on the dry
stem.
I guess it's not unheard of, but neither she or I have seen this  before.
Mating frenzy? mistaken identity? Or just being very competitive  and ready
to spring into action if the number one male gets bumped?...

Marlene also reported that Shadow Darners and Autumn Meadowhawks were
still around, but snow at her elevation in upper east TN this weekend may put
an end to the season.

Richard Connors
Nashville TN