[tn-dragonflies] Re: fall odes upper-east TN

  • From: Rick Phillips <sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 07:33:34 -0400

Interesting that you didn't get Blue-faced Meadowhawk. They're the most
common meadowhawk I'm seeing at Phipp's Bend in Hawkins County right now
and far outnumber the Autumn Meadowhawks. Saw the same thing last year.
Hardly ever see a Blue-faced Meadowhawk there until late August/early
September.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 11:20 PM, Redacted sender Rconnorsphoto for DMARC <
dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Greetings,

On a visit to upper-East Tennessee last week I checked a few of the same
sites from the S-E DSA outing in July. Overall diversity was down,
but expected late-season odes such as Shadow Darner and Autumn Meadowhawks
were most abundant. I had hoped to find a Stylurus, one of the hanging
clubtails, on this trip but it was not to be. I did get one surprise: a
male Ski-tipped Emerald at Orchard Bog in Shady Valley. It was a surprise
but not totally unexpected as I had looked for them unsuccessfully there in
Johnson County before (our north-eastern-most county), just not this late
into September.

American Rubyspot (Hetaerina americana) - abundant on flowing water
Smoky Rubyspot (H. titia) - 1 very skittish male, Nolichucky R.
Washington Co.
Great Spreadwing (Archilestes grandis) a few
Variable Dancer (Argia fumipennis)
Powdered Dancer (A. moesta) abundant on flowing water
Dusky Dancer (A. translata)
Skimming Bluet (E. geminatum) 1 at Marlene's pond Carter Co.
Fragile Forktail (Ischnura posita)
Eastern Forktail ( I. verticalis)
Shadow Darner (Aeshna umbrosa)
Com. Green Darner (Anax junis)
Fawn Darner (Boyera vinosa)
Swamp Darner (Epiaeshna heros) 1 Unicoi Co.
Swift River Cruiser (M. illinoiensis) 1 Nolichucky R. Washington Co.
Ski-tipped Emerald (Somatochlora elongata) 1 Johnson Co.
Ruby Meadowhawk (Sympetrum rubicundulum)
Autumn Meadowhawk (S. vicinum)

Richard Connors
Nashville TN

--