[tn-dragonflies] fall odes upper-east TN

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Rconnorsphoto" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 23:20:59 -0400

Greetings,

On a visit to upper-East Tennessee last week I checked a few of the same
sites from the S-E DSA outing in July. Overall diversity was down, but
expected late-season odes such as Shadow Darner and Autumn Meadowhawks were
most
abundant. I had hoped to find a Stylurus, one of the hanging clubtails, on
this trip but it was not to be. I did get one surprise: a male Ski-tipped
Emerald at Orchard Bog in Shady Valley. It was a surprise but not totally
unexpected as I had looked for them unsuccessfully there in Johnson County
before (our north-eastern-most county), just not this late into September.

American Rubyspot (Hetaerina americana) - abundant on flowing water
Smoky Rubyspot (H. titia) - 1 very skittish male, Nolichucky R.
Washington Co.
Great Spreadwing (Archilestes grandis) a few
Variable Dancer (Argia fumipennis)
Powdered Dancer (A. moesta) abundant on flowing water
Dusky Dancer (A. translata)
Skimming Bluet (E. geminatum) 1 at Marlene's pond Carter Co.
Fragile Forktail (Ischnura posita)
Eastern Forktail ( I. verticalis)
Shadow Darner (Aeshna umbrosa)
Com. Green Darner (Anax junis)
Fawn Darner (Boyera vinosa)
Swamp Darner (Epiaeshna heros) 1 Unicoi Co.
Swift River Cruiser (M. illinoiensis) 1 Nolichucky R. Washington Co.
Ski-tipped Emerald (Somatochlora elongata) 1 Johnson Co.
Ruby Meadowhawk (Sympetrum rubicundulum)
Autumn Meadowhawk (S. vicinum)

Richard Connors
Nashville TN