[tn-dragonflies] Houston County Odes

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2014 17:20:17 -0400

Oct. 1, 2014 Houston County TN

On Wednesday I took a break from Fall chores and checked for Odonates at a
couple of Houston Co. sites. Houston has been one of our  least surveyed
(and I guess one of the smallest) TN counties. Although I've  been tempted in
the past to attend the Annual Irish Barbeque in Erin, I  believe this is the
first time I have been in this county.
Sites checked were along Yellow Creek, and at the ferry dock on the TN
River/ Kentucky Lake. Of note were several Fawn Darners on the creek, and lots
of Big Bluets in the moss/algae beds at the lake. A couple of photos
attached. Several species were documented that should bring the county  total
at
Odonata Central out of the basement and into double digits at an even  10!
Otherwise not a great variety flying, as the season winds down.

Most intriguing sighting at the lake was an all-red job that just flew by
once, I got on it with binocs as it circled, but it did not return. All red
abdomen and thorax, and some red veining in the wings. No marks on the
wings as  would indicate saddlebags, and the size was skimmer size. By process
of  elimination I believe it was probably Golden-winged Skimmer, but it sure
looked  more red than that. I muttered to myself as it passed "Scarlet
Skimmer",  but that would be wishful thinking. Needham's Skimmer would be even
far-fetched,  but that was the all-red color I got from the brief look, just
going by  illustrations in the field guides, Golden-winged is the only one I
have  actually seen before. Those same guides do state that Needham's and
Golden-winged can appear identical in the field. So I'll have to settle  for
intriguing but not quite satisfying connection on that one. The  type of
encounter that keeps you coming back for more.

Richard Connors
Nashville

Ebony Jewelwing - 1
Amer. Rubyspot  - com. on creek