[tn-dragonflies] Re: Grainger County 25 March 2012

  • From: "tom howe" <blountbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 06:32:41 -0400

Harold,

All the female Fragiles I've seen this year (and there are dozens, if not
100s around)look confusing. They are pruinose and appear to have a complete
shoulder stripe, but at the right angle you can see that it is interrupted
by a slightly different color. I've depended on their company with males to
help me realize they must be fragile. I haven't caught any (never try) to
see if it has the vulvar spine on the underside of S8. I would also not
expect Easterns until much later in spring. The books I have don't show this
pruinose look.

Tom