[tn-dragonflies] Big Bluets in middle Tenn

  • From: richard connors <didymops07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "se-odonata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <se-odonata@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 18:15:56 -0500

Oct. 27, 2014 J. Percy Priest Lake, Davidson Co.TN

Vicki's recent find of Big Bluets (Enallagma durum) in north Georgia
reminded me to get out and look for them here. Having found them along the
Tennessee River (western section) a few years ago I suspected that if they
made it that far from previously known range, that they would eventually
find their way even further and show up here via the Cumberland River. I
have looked before but this is the first year I have found here. One male
out on the point of a peninsula, and more males and females back in a cove
with water plants.

My theory is they traveled up from the Gulf via the Tennessee- Tombigbe
waterway, a connection that was not there until recent years, and aided
their evident range expansion into Tennessee. I'm not sure what waterway
would easily lead them up to north Georgia. Since they are "big" and robust
and seem to be dominant in their niche, I guess there is not much to stop
them entering a new territory. They do seem to be a Fall flying species, so
this could mean they could move up from the south every year and
re-colonize, like some of the butterfly species like Cloudless Sulfur and
Gulf Fritillary. But they usually look fresh, even teneral fresh, so some
at least emerged here.

Anyway, it was good to be out on what was probably our last good day for
Odes this year. I found one other new county species I have been expecting
- Rambur's Forktail (Ischnura ramburii). See list below of the few others
seen, the only species abundant was Orange Bluet.

Richard Connors
Nashville TN

Blue-fronted Dancer (Argia apicalis) 1
Dusky Dancer (A. translata)
Orange Bluet (Enallagma signatum)
Big Bluet (E. durum) 10
Fragile Forktail (Ischnura posita)
Rambur's Forktail (I. ramburii) 1 male
Com. Green Darner (Anax junius) 2
Wandering Glider (Pantala flavescens) few, but fresh looking