[tn-dragonflies] Re: Band-winged Meadowhawks, Hawkins County

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-dragonflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 18:49:47 -0400 (EDT)

Rick,

I don't have much advice on where to find them in the Kingsport area. I
have seen a couple of Carolina Saddlebags recently, one at a little wetland
pond  off a greenway in west Nashville the other afternoon, and it was perched
nicely  out in the open pond, something more rare for Black Saddlebags.
They are both  "flyers", but the Carolina seems to perch a lot more than the
Black. One piece  of advice for photos of Black Saddlebags, once you locate a
good spot for them,  and they should be more and more common as the summer
progresses, is to go out  early. They will roost in a weedy/ grassy area, and
first flights of the day  will be shorter until they warm up completely.
And you can see them go back down  to warm up and locate them perched. Once
they warm up they tend to stay up "all  day"... amazing flyers.

Good luck.

Richard

In a message dated 6/28/2013 2:05:15 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
sunfish0501@xxxxxxxxx writes:

I was at Phipps Bend in Hawkins County for a while this morning. Took  some
more shots of Band-winged Meadowhawks including a pair "in wheel". I've
added photos to my dragonfly set on Flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ricksphotos0501/sets/72157634367439752/.  I
stopped at four spots and had
multiple Halloween Pennants at each stop.  Unfortunately, the wind prevented me
taking any more shots of these  dragonflies today. Will be back on a less windy
day.

Any hints  on where anyone might have had Carolina or Black Saddlebags in
northeast  Tennessee would be appreciated. The pond in Kingsport where I had
Carolina  Saddlebags a few years ago is now completely overgrown. I've never
seen Black  Saddlebags. Another lifer I'm looking for up here would be
Calico  Pennant.

Rick

--
Rick Phillips