[TN-Butterflies] results of butterfly count in western putnam county

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 08:32:56 -0500

Below are results of yesterday's butterfly count for Putnam County West; it was
conducted yesterday instead of next week to ensure that next week's predicted
rainy forecast did not prevent the count from taking place in July (but we
still had heavy overcast 0830-1030 CDT, and then heavy rain at 1700 CDT, ending
the count).  The species total was low (the range for counts from 2002 to 2008
was 33-48), but the quality of species was good.

Silver-spotted Skipper 21
Hoary Edge 1
Wild Indigo Duskywing 3
Common Sootywing 13
Swarthy Skipper 1
Sachem 55
Peck's Skipper 1
Black Swallowtail 4
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail 21
Spicebush Swallowtail 5
Cabbage White 9
Clouded Sulphur 12
Orange Sulphur 21
Cloudless Sulphur 26
Harvester 1 (photo)
Eastern Tailed-Blue 38
American Snout 9
Monarch 4
Gulf Fritillary 1
Variegated Fritillary 60
Great Spangled Fritillary 2
Silvery Checkerspot 7
Pearl Crescent 16
Question Mark 3
Eastern Comma 1
Common Buckeye 2
Red-spotted Purple 2
Viceroy 1
Hackberry Emperor 2

Observers: Judy Fuson, Sue Pirolo, Barbara Stedman, Steve Stedman

The Harvester extended the documented flight period for that species in the
county from 4 April-1 July to 4 April-24 July (but a third brood in the county
is possible later in the fall), and it was the first to be registered on either
of the Putnam County NABA Butterfly Counts.

The Gulf Fritillary was my first of the year for anywhere in TN, and few have
been reported elsewhere in the state so far this year.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)