[TN-Butterflies] little orange moth

  • From: Rconnorsphoto@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 14:48:45 EDT

From Sunday 4/5/09 at Narrows of the Harpeth, Harpeth River State Park

Cheatham Co. TN

Snowberry Clearwing, Grapevine Epimenis (on Bladderpod blossoms), and one
little orange moth. I have seen these before and never satisfactorily
identified
 them. Best match from Covell, Moths of Eastern North America,  is Orange
Wing (Mellilla xanthometata). It looks right but not listed at  right size -
this
was small, less than the size of Least Skipper. I'd say not  more than 15mm.
Orange Wing listed at 16 - 21 mm. Anyway, if anyone has  experience with this
one I'd appreciate a look and opinion.

least moth photo:
_http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/111011107_
(http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/111011107)

Also see photo of zebra swallowtails showing color and pattern differences.
Not sure if its a male/female thing or just general variability of this
species.

mating zebras photo:
_http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/111011209_
(http://www.pbase.com/rconnorsnaturephoto/image/111011209)