[TN-Butterflies] Totals of 1st annual Tennessee River Gorge, TN Spring Seasonal Butterfly Count

  • From: "Bill Haley" <wgh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN Butterflies" <TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2009 16:36:04 -0400

Hello all;

Saturday, April 4, the weather was excellent for our first butterfly
count of 2009, the 1st Annual Tennessee River Gorge seasonal count.
Temperatures were between 59 and 72 F, sunny all day, with light winds.
Considering all the bad weather both before and after count day, we were
extremely fortunate to get such a great day. Eight people participated
in the count: Count compiler - Bill Haley, David Spicer, Scott Spicer,
Susan Schott, Susan Westmorland, Becky Jones, Gwen Brymer, and John
Dever. Three parties helped cover territory within the Tennessee River
Gorge count circle, which includes portions of both Hamilton and Marion
Counties. 10:00-6:30 Eastern. We located some early spring species, but
unfortunately missed others. No elfins were located. I've tried to
indicate FOY species with counties. Following are the totals.

Pipevine Swallowtail - 23 (FOY, Hamilton, Marion)

Zebra Swallowtail - 9

Spicebush Swallowtail - 2 (FOY, Marion)

E. Tiger Swallowtail - 19 (FOY, Marion)

West Virginia White - 41

Falcate Orangetip - 60

Clouded Sulphur - 32

Orange Sulphur - 15 (FOY, Marion)

Red-banded Hairstreak - 1 (FOY, Marion)

E. Tailed Blue - 27 (FOY, Marion)

Azure sp. - 14

Variegated Fritillary - 2 (FOY, Marion)

Pearl Crescent - 9

Question Mark - 7 (FOY, Marion)

E. Comma - 2 (FOY, Marion)

Mourning Cloak - 7 (FOY, Marion)

American lady - 2 (FOY, Marion)

Painted Lady - 2 (FOY, Hamilton)

Gemmed Satyr - 1 (FOY, Marion)

Silver-spotted Skipper - 3 (FOY, Marion)

Sleepy Duskywing - 1 (FOY, Marion)

Juvenal's Duskywing - 72 - field mark on ventral hindwing noted

Horace's Duskywing - 2 (FOY, Marion) - netted and closely examined
before release

Duskywing sp. - 128

Pepper and Salt Skipper - 6 (FOY, Marion)

24 species, 487 individuals

Bill Haley

Chattanooga, TN

Hamilton County

P.S. Our next count is in this same count circle on June 13. Interested
parties are always invited to participate!