[TN-Butterflies] how to deal with those who MUST see photos

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 08:12:23 -0500

I'm hoping to be able to create a part of my website that provides a copy of
all documentary photos for county records for all butterfly species in TN, but
I am not sure when that might take place, certainly following my retirement at
the end of this year but possibly not for some time thereafter, given that I
have 2500 such photos now and more coming in every day almost. Consequently, I
hope everyone who takes photos of county record butterflies will send a copy to
me for archiving purposes, but also so that the online archive that I hope to
create can be used to learn to i.d. the butterflies by those who follow in our
footsteps.  It seems little mean-spirited not to send me a copy such photos if
you have them, especially if your personal photo archive does not allow for
photos to be copied. Many of you still send county record photos to me, for
which I am very grateful.

The problem of how to make documentary photos immediately available to the
group remains.  Storage space limitation makes it sort of self-defeating to
post them on TN-Butterflies; it will do no good to use up our storgage space on
a multitude of photos and eventually run out of such space and have no
listserv. Surely that is self-evident.

Perhaps photos can be sent directly to those who crave them at the same time
that messages are sent to TN-Butterflies?  I am always willing to do that if I
know who the cravers are, so please just send along a message to TN-Butterflies
saying you want a personal copy of any photo to be sent to you.  I'm sure all
the rest of us have more than enough time to do that for such individuals.  Or
maybe anyone desiring a look at a photo can simply and politely request it from
those who have the photos? Does that ask too much of someone who wants to see a
photo?

Steve Stedman