[TN-Butterflies] eastern tiger swallowtail and eastern tailed-blue--73 and counting

  • From: Stephen Stedman <SStedman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2009 15:53:20 -0500

At the BAMONA website both Eastern Tiger Swallowtail and Eastern
Tailed-Blue are in a dead heat in so far as being documented in TN
counties is concerned.  Each has been documented in 73 counties.  This
lepidopteral tie leaves us with the overwhelming question: which will
become the first butterfly species to be documented in all 95 TN
counties?  It also leaves us with the interesting question of why it is
that TN still does not have the data that allows us to document the
complete state distribution of even our most common butterflies.  Who
has dropped the data-gathering ball here?  Or is there no culprit on
whom or on which to lay the blame for this sad state of affairs?  I have
my thoughts on these matters.  What are yours?

Have a look at the BAMONA website and see if your county has a record of
the two common species noted above.  If not, why not snap a photo and
send it along with date, site, and photographer credit?

Steve Stedman

Cookeville, Putnam County

Link to BAMONA website (click on Map Search; then click inside outline
of TN; then click inside outline of your county):

http://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/