[TN-Butterflies] eastern tailed-blue range in tn versus sdm 'fly zones

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 08:45:38 -0500

In reviewing the ranges of Tennessee butterflies at the BAMONA website
yesterday, I discovered that there are just 13 counties that do not have a
documented record of Eastern Tailed-Blue (Giles is also shown as not having a
record, but it does; the record just hasn't been submitted yet but it will be
shortly).

Here are the counties missing records of E. T-Blue:

Bedford
Carroll
Claiborne
Hancock
Haywood
Humphreys
Houston
Lawrence
Lincoln
Moore
Robertson
Tipton
Weakley

Predictably, eleven of these counties also happen to be counties that have
fewer than ten species listed as occurring in them at the BAMONA website (i.e.,
they are the SDM [single digit midget] 'fly zone counties).

Here are the SDM counties in Tennessee:

Bedford 4
Carroll 5
Claiborne 1
Crockett 2 (including ET-Blue)
Hancock 3
Haywood 8
Houston 3
Jefferson 9 (including ET-Blue)
Lincoln 3
Moore 8
Robertson 5
Tipton 1
Union 9 (including ET-Blue)
Weakley (7)

In the event that you happen to live near or travel through Humphreys,
Lawrence, or any of the eleven SDM counties that are Tailed-blueless, a stop at
almost any weedy roadside will probably turn up an Eastern Tailed-Blue or two,
and they are quite easy to photograph, so let's see if this species can become
the first to be listed in all 95 counties of TN at the BAMONA website.

Steve Stedman
Cookeville (Putnam County)

Note: I received the most recent issue of Southerrn Lepidopterists' News
yesterday; it includes reports of lep records made during the spring of 2009
from 11 southern states; the only Tennessee lep record published in this issue
was for Southern Pink Moth in Davidson County by Michael  Lee Bierly.  I have
meant to become more active in submitting records to SLN, but so far have not
managed to do much along those lines, so am glad someone is.  Tennessee lep
records of note should be sent to John Hyatt 5336 Foxfire Place, Kingsport, TN
37664. His email is jkshyatt@xxxxxxxx