[TN-Butterflies] butterflies in yard--putnam county

  • From: "Steve Stedman" <birdsongteam@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-butterflies@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 17:32:47 -0600

I decided to stay home and work on the annual butterfly yard list today.
Before the day began, I had only three yard 'flies for 2009: Cabbage White,
Clouded Sulphur, and Falcate Orangetip.

Today I recorded 8 yard species, six of which were new this year:

Zebra Swallowtail
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail
West Virginia White (photos)
Falcate Orangetip
Clouded Sulphur
Eastern Tailed-Blue
Pearl Crescent
Red Admiral

I encourage all TN-Butterfliers to keep a yard list each year (or a list for
some nearby park or accessible area); comparing the lists from year to year can
give a moderately good idea of changes in the local populations. If you keep
numbers of butterflies each day (and archive these in the Butterflies I've Seen
database maintained by NABA), you can also obtain a moderately good idea of the
relative abundance of the various species found in your yard.

Good butterfly counting, Steve Stedman
Cookeville, Putnam County